Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Friends Forever

We just got back from a vacation at the beach with 9 children and 8 adults in a 4 bedroom house and it was wonderful.

My husband has an amazing group of friends that he has known since elementary school.  Every other year we try to get together for a vacation.  Two years ago was the first one and we went to Colorado.  This year I planned the trip and we went to Tybee Island, Georgia.  As stressed as I was about planning a vacation for four families, it was worth it.  It was so good to see old friends, some of whom we haven’t seen since that Colorado trip.  It was amazing to watch all of the kids play well together and listen to my husband and his friends reminisce about their second grade soccer team.

My longest friendship, not including friends I’ve been reunited with through facebook, is with a girl I met when I was 16.  I think that’s pretty good, but not as good as 5 which is when my husband met one of his friends.  (Said friend didn’t actually make this trip but we’re counting on him and his wife for next time!)

The kids on this trip ranged in age from 8 years to 5 months.  What an incredible experience for them to get to know each other and extend the friendships of their fathers.  Luckily for the fathers, the mothers all get along pretty well too.

One of the other mothers and I were wondering at what point our children will start rebelling about “having” to go on this trip.  When will they prefer to be with their friends rather than with their parent’s friends?  Will we be lucky enough that they will consider each other friends and still be as excited to see each other as the adults are?

One thing I do know.  I’m already looking forward to the next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment