Friday, August 26, 2011

I Am Not Enough

I am not enough.  How could I be really?  How could anyone be?  As Hillary Clinton said, “It Takes a Village”.  Children need 2 parents, grandparents, friends, teachers, and so much more.  Yet just for a small while, I was enough.  For 9 months I carried each one.  Me and me alone.  For a little while after that I rocked them and soothed them and fed them and I was still enough.  They preferred me for the simple reason that I smelled like food.  And I loved it.

And now it’s over.

Yesterday I took Drew in for his 6 month appointment and he is falling off of the growth chart.  At 4 months he was a small, but stable 14th percentile in weight.  Yesterday he was in the 1st percentile.  Despite all the pumping and the nursing, he’s not gaining enough weight.  I am not enough.

Yesterday he started formula and cereal in addition to breast milk.  Soon we’ll add in vegetables, then fruit and meat.  He’s growing up.

I never expected to be enough, but I still hate that my small window of time is over.  He’s still my baby, I like to think that I can soothe him better than anyone else (don’t tell me if it’s not true, I don’t want to know), but now the outside world is creeping in and that will only happen more and more.  With each new food and new experience he’ll grow a little more up and away from the cocoon we had together.  It’s natural and normal and I expected it.  It doesn’t mean I have to like it.

I already miss my baby.  Is that weird? 

No comments:

Post a Comment