Monday, June 6, 2011

Aggravation

I hate the drycleaners.

Running errands can be very difficult with kids.  I know, people do it all the time, and so do I, but it really makes me prioritize what needs to be done.  One of the things that has slipped low on the priority list is the dry cleaning.  Most of the stuff that needs to get cleaned is mine, and most of that is work clothes and since I haven’t been working for three months, there hasn’t been much call for it.  I do have some sweaters that I haven’t worn since January and a jacket that got a spot on it last month, but nothing really urgent.  Now that I’m back at work though, it’s really starting to pile up.

It hardly seems worth it to get three kids out of the car just to run in and drop off the clothes and get them back in the car though.  Even if I only have the baby, his carrier is really heavy and put that together with a huge load of dry cleaning and I might not be able to carry it all. 

I finally scheduled a good time to bring it in.  On Wednesdays I only work in the afternoons so I asked the sitter to come a few minutes early and planned to take in the dry cleaning before heading to work.  She got stuck in traffic.  I was pretty desperate for work pants though so I decided it would be worth it to possibly be a few minutes late for work to get it done.  When I got to the cleaners the door was locked and there was a sign that said this:

“Went to the bank.  Back in 15 minutes.”

ARRGGH!!!!

So I was a little late for work for nothing!

The next morning, a Thursday, I drove the preschool carpool and even though the baby was due to eat as soon as (or before) I got back, I made him wait and took the damn clothes in.  At least he was at home so I could run it in quickly.  The guy asked if Monday was ok to pick them up and I asked if we could do it Saturday.  He said it would have to be Friday because they don’t do pick ups or drop offs from the cleaning facility on Saturday.  I confirmed that the store front was open on Saturday so I could still pick up the clothes then and said ok.  Then I went home and fed the screaming baby.

I am on call this weekend so I worked Saturday morning.  On my way home I swung by the dry cleaners.  They were closed.

ARRGGH!!!!

So now most of my work pants are stuck at the dry cleaners.  I have a case in the OR at 7:30 Monday morning and then work a full day on the opposite side of town.  I work a half-day on Tuesday, but lately it’s been a struggle getting back in time to meet my 7 year old’s school bus on those days (it’s a long half-day).  After school he has a piano lesson and then it will be time to pick up the 4 year old from school.  I’m sure the baby will need to be fed and attended to in there at some point too.

That means that most likely the earliest time I can pick up the cleaning will be Wednesday when I’m off for the whole day but will have a sitter in the afternoon.

I know this is minor.  I have other clothes.  But oh the aggravation!!  And the thought that someday, fairly soon, I’ll have to do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment