Saturday, June 18, 2011

An Open Letter to Men Who Should Know Better

I am an unapologetic people watcher.  One of the best times to observe my fellow humans is when I am out walking in the neighborhood.  I find very little of which to disapprove, mostly I admire the variety and quantity of the species.  For the most part, if you are out there walking, jogging, biking, moving; I applaud you.  You can be with a single, double or triple stroller or infant in front carrier, with dog or dogs, in a gaggle or strutting solo and I am your fan.  Whether you are a young college student, young mother, young empty nester or young senior, we are all young when we are out there making the effort.  You can listen to music or listen to the birds.  You can wear the latest in trendy running fashions, or like me, be clad in old shorts and faded t-shirts left over from years ago and I am proud to be among you.  Whether your calves are hard as rocks or just a little (or a lot) softer, I welcome you.  There is however one member of our clan who should know better.

To the men who jog shirtless I ask, beg, plead with you to please put a shirt on.  Very few of you can carry this off in a way that is pleasing to the eye and even you shouldn’t be doing it with all that we know about skin cancer.  And to the 99.9% of men out there who can’t carry it off; we don’t want to see it.  I don’t want to see your pale skin reflecting the sun into my eyes.  I don’t want to see the rolls jiggling, the sweat dripping down from one to the other and finally to the sidewalk.  It’s hot, I get it, but the cotton of my old college t-shirt absorbs my sweat.  Or better yet get a moisture wicking shirt that promises to keep you cool and refreshed. 

I revel in the beauty of nature when I walk.  I watch the birds, the squirrels, the houses, the flowers, the trees and the people.  For the most part all of the people are beautiful because we’re all part of this neighborhood.  We make it what it is.  You are not beautiful.  You are unpleasant, but not unfixable.  Don’t stop running; don’t stop participating in the flow of this lovely community.  But please do it fully clothed.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment